Monday, 12 August 2013

Golden Harvest

My favourite meal of the day is breakfast/brunch because it is acceptable to eat pretty much anything for breakfast, like pancakes with ice cream and bacon. I heard about a restaurant in Lansing that just serves breakfast/brunch called Golden Harvest. The reviews were so good that after I successfully purchased a vintage hipster bike...


Isn't she beautiful?

...I decided to cycle over one lazy Sunday morning and check it out. Online it says that you usually have to queue for about an hour but I thought that was just Americans exaggerating  but when I arrived the line was pretty long...



Then of course it started to rain, lucky I had my stylish poncho to keep me dry....


...but sure didn't I have the bants in the queue and ended up sitting next to my new friends. I really loved the interior of Golden Harvest.




Loads of random crap on the wall and a sort of 'I don't give a fuck attitude'. As I waited outside I asked people what they would recommend to eat and people said the best thing to do was order off the special board as some specials never come back again. The people I ended up eating with also recommended getting an 'appetiser' as we would wait a while for the food, so to start I ordered cheesy grits...


They were sort of like cheesy porridge which sounds awful but was actually really good. For the main event I ordered the special French toast which had strawberries, blueberries, fresh ground cinnamon and creme anglaise-y sauce and as this is America the French toast came with sides so I ordered potato and bacon. 




The French toast was amazing, probably better than the brie stuffed French toast I wrote about before. The strawberries and blueberries were very fresh, the cinnamon was great and the creme anglaise-y sauce was fantastic, so so delicious. The potatoes and bacon were good too. The people I ate with couldn't finish their food but I fought valiantly and finished all of my French toast, I didn't queue for an hour and then wait for an hour for the food to not eat it all...


I couldn't finish all my bacon and potatoes but they provided a nice snack for me at home later.


One thing to know about Golden Harvest besides the long wait is that they only take cash. I didn't know that and was a few dollars short, I said I would run to the ATM  but the people I ate with said 'We got you'. I said it was fine and would go to the ATM but they explained that I didn't have to pay as they knew the owner and she wouldn't charge them. I tried to argue that I didn't know the owner and I didn't even come with them, I just met them outside but they were having none of it. So amazing free food that was also free,
this may have been the breakfast ever!

Christina, x

No comments:

Post a Comment